Swiss Walnut Christmas Cookies Recipe
For the cookies:
- 2 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 225g ground walnuts
- 150g ground hazelnuts
- 200g sugar
For the glaze:
- 150 g icing sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kirsch
- 100g whole walnuts
- Whisk the egg whiles with a pinch of salt until they are stiff.
- If ground walnuts are not available where you live, simply place the same weight of whole walnuts in the food processor and blitz until they are finely processed.
- Add the ground walnuts, ground hazelnuts and sugar to the egg whiles, and mix everything together to form a sticky dough.
- Place some cling film or, even better, a silicon baking mat onto the kitchen bench. Tip the mixture on this work surface and roll it out to about 1 cm thick. Use a cookie cutter of your choice (e.g. flower, Christmas tree, star) and cut out your shapes, re-rolling the mixture as needed.
- Place the shapes on a sheet of baking paper and leave them to dry for about 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Bake the cookies for about 10-12 minutes, until they are lightly browned. Cool the cookies on a wire rack.
- Make the glaze by whisking together the icing sugar, water and Kirsch. Gently dip on side of the cookies into the icing mixture and let any excess icing drip off. Place the iced cookies on a wire rack and decorate with a whole walnut.
- Makes about 50 cookies, depending on size. They keep well in a covered container for about 3 weeks.
You can also find the recipe on Eat Little Bird’s blog too.
Swiss Walnut Christmas Cookies Recipe was last modified: November 25th, 2013 by