Here at Brabantia we love to share food inspiration ideas and 2017, for us, is all about adding a special twist to everyday meals. Making daily chores a pleasure! So how about banishing those sugar laden cereals and resolve to embrace a healthy breakfast in 2017? Check out some of these inspiring options that are guaranteed not only to kick-start your metabolism but put a spring in your step too!
Breakfast in a cup with all the goodness of berries, spinach and oats, what a way to start the day!
– 1 banana
– 1 big handful of spinach (35g)
– 2 handfuls of frozen berries (these keep it cool and are much cheaper than fresh berries, but fresh berries and little ice work perfectly instead) (80g)
– 1 cup of almond milk (250 ml)
– 3 tablespoons oats
– 1 tablespoon hemp powder
– 1 tablespoon chia seeds
– Optional: 2 medjool dates
How to make it
Simply peel the banana and pit the dates, then pour everything into your blender and blend until smooth! What’s not to love!
Invented over one hundred years ago, by Swiss physician Maximilian Bircher-Benner for his patients, Bircher muesli is soaked overnight and is the bang on trend healthy start to the day.
– 100g jumbo oats
– 100g mixed dried fruits (eg, 50g dried cranberries, 50g sultanas)
– 25g almonds, roughly chopped
– ½ tsp ground cinnamon
– 2 tablespoon clear honey
– 200ml semi-skimmed milk
– 2 ripe pears, cored and grated
How to make it
1. Preheat oven to 160c, gas mark 3
2. Mix together the oats, dried fruit, almonds and cinnamon and spread out on a large baking tray
3. Drizzle over the honey and mix to evenly coat
4. Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool
5. Stir in the milk and allow to soak in the fridge, ideally overnight
6. Stir in grated pears and serve with yoghurt or a little extra milk
If you like something sweet in the morning, this is for you. This is a truly mouth-watering start to the day!
– 350g ripe plums
– 3 tbsp clear honey
– 1 cinnamon stick
– 3 tbsp water
– 2 medium eggs
– 3 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
– 2 thick slices of Whole Grain bread (about 125g)
– 1 tbsp mild olive oil
– 2 tbsp caster sugar
How to make it
1. Halve and stone the plums and put in a small saucepan with 1 tablespoon of the honey, cinnamon stick and water. Cover and heat very gently for about 5 minutes until the plums are soft but not falling apart.
2. Beat the remaining honey with the eggs and milk. Put the bread slices in a single layer on a dinner plate. Pour the egg mixture over the bread and leave to stand for 10 minutes until absorbed.
3. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, preferably non-stick. Halve or quarter the bread slices diagonally and add to the pan. Fry gently for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden. Drain to serving plates and sprinkle with the sugar. Serve with the plum compote.
4. Variation – use fresh apricots or apples instead of the plums.
Don’t forget to give us a ‘Like’ on Facebook to keep up-to-date with our latest news and for foodie and interiors inspiration, you’ll love our Instagram account! We can answer any questions on Twitter too @Brabantialife!