Introducing our brand new Design Insights Interviews for 2016! This week we grabbed a latte with top Presenter, Interiors Blogger and Writer Jen Stanbrook, former winner of the Cosmopolitan Blog Awards Best Interiors Blog and Best Style Blog – BiBs Awards. Let’s get an insight into her world, and be prepared to be inspired…
- What’s going to be hot in interiors in 2016?
Darker wall colours are going to become more mainstream, Green is going to be popular, metallics are still going strong and the tropical, jungle look for summer will continue to grow. Pastels are probably going to be bigger than before, and a more mixed up interior will become the norm for many people, throwing out the notion of co-ordinating your home accessories.
- Rose Quartz and Serenity, Pantone’s Colours of the Year – a Hit or Miss?
Well I think they are probably going to be a big hit, bloggers seem to be embracing them and brands are loving them. For me personally, they’re probably a bit of a miss and not a pairing I’m immediately drawn to. I’ve seen some gorgeous examples of how to use these colours in our homes though, and can really appreciate how the right space can be updated with this gentle mini palette. I’m sure Brabantia will totally rock them!
- What are your ambitions for 2016…in 5 words or less!
Increase my interior film collaborations.
- How would you describe your style, in just 3 words!
Bold, Contemporary, Individual.
- Who is your ‘Go To’ design crush?
Ooh there are probably too many to mention, but one of my most favourite bloggers, whose style and approach I completely admire is the US blogger Vintage Revivals. Whilst her blog is very different from mine, in that it’s full of incredible DIY projects, I absolutely adore her fierce and ferocious style, and love how her makeovers are a true reflection of her personality. I love the way her designs look so luxurious but are usually done on a budget. Inspirational.
- What are your top 3 favourite interior spaces?
The Chrysler Building in New York for its stunning art deco interiors, The Pig Near Bath hotel for its vintage and eclectic interior design, and Ham Yard hotel London for its gutsy, bold décor.
- Reflecting back on 2015 what was your defining interiors moment?
Well, we had a major renovation at home converting our loft into a main bedroom and en-suite which I covered on the blog, and we are thrilled with the results. On a more personal level I was pretty pleased with breaking through into Live TV, presenting on the shopping channel QVC for a few different interior brands. It was certainly a defining moment in my blogging/vlogging career and one I’d love to expand on in 2016.
- Limited pops of colour in the home or all out colour collision? Limited pops
- Be surprising at all times or keep it consistent? Be surprising
- Eclectic styling or traditional? Definitely eclectic
- Entertaining at home or eating out? Eating out (saves on the washing up!)